The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bigchampion1
Clan Advisor

Runescape Name : Endeavour

PostSubject: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 pm

As I have posted on the topic in News, Gop Addict goes through a cycle every time. I will describe the cycle here, to see if people can learn from it, to see if people can find the points to improve, and to see if ultimately the cycle can stay at its peaks.

I will describe 3 aspects of the cycle - major yearly events, the weekly cycle within the bigger cycle, and other influences on the cycle.

The Yearly Cycle

I will start the cycle where I started my journey with Gop Addict: Summer holidays.

In the summer holidays, many people will devote more time to Runescape. I myself was mostly F2P at the time, and since I had more time to spend on Runescape, I decided to get 50 Runecrafting, because the minigame looked interesting to me. I went there, found myself lost, and quickly found the solution: a 5050 clan. I have spent quite some time with another 5050 clan, but then they turned more and more into a social clan, and I found myself looking for a new clan a year later - Gop Addict. I saw one person advertise, and I saw a chat full of people, and ranks. I quickly hopped to the 5050 world to find out why everyone was playing GOP; few were there for the robes and staff, most people were there for the talismans and the tablets. I was very interested in the tabs myself, so I decided to stick around. I was asked to become a rank, and I accepted. Since the old forums are lost, I don't have an exact date, but this was somewhere around July. August was the same thing, combat some persistent crashers, with the help of higher ranks, and climb the ranks myself.

September saw the inactivity of some ranks, who had to devote their time to their studies. Some of them could remain as a rank, and the chat still functioned nicely. The same persistent crashers were a bit harder to combat because the smaller chat had to deal with the same load of crashers. The end of holidays was a moment for me to get membership, because the worlds would be a little emptier, and I could peacefully explore the worlds, and for a reason I'll mention later. Real life, and school/work had definitely taken its toll on the amount of players on Runescape.

Then, autumn break (in the Netherlands we have that, I don't know about the UK/USA) came, and I saw an increase in players again. With no school to worry about, it was obvious people would come back to their old moneymaking method to still find it quite alive. After the holidays, the little peak died down again.

Christmas break saw an even bigger increase in people. Whether it was because people were inspired to make money before the year ended, or just because the break was longer and more widely spread I don't know, but it was obvious people had time for Runescape again.

In the Netherlands, May is the month of exams for those about to graduate high school. Increased inactivity was a logical result. June/July are the months of exams for universities in the Netherlands, so again inactivity was expected. After all, not only the Netherlands have exams.

Then, summer holidays came again. Increased amounts of people came flooding in, everyone wanted to get some money again, or tabs, or get that talisman staff back they lost pking.

The Weekly Cycle

Another very obvious thing that occured outside the holidays was the time when people came online: most of them came online after school, and many people played more in the weekends. This meant that weekends were usually easiest to manage, and some timezones were extremely hard to fill (due to the fact that USA was asleep and Europe was at school). While it seems obvious that people go to school and can't play there, it is essential to realise that outside the holidays, the chat can't always be full.

Other events that affect the Cycle

Updates to Runescape will always affect everything on Runescape. Every clan will notice this. A very recent example is the GWD rework, with the new drops. Dungeoneering was dead, everyone was at GWD. How does this affect Gop Addict, a clan that hosts ties in a minigame totally unrelated to GWD, in F2P? Some people will get membership when they see such an amazing update.
I myself have gathered loads of tokens in anticipation of a Bonus XP Weekend, and got membership in September to cash in the tokens, and get Herblore up.
Sizzling Summer, a very interesting advertisement to get membership, will most likely have lured some people into buying membership and has thus lured them away from GOP.

Bots ruining the prices have also created some kind of cycle - we've had two bot nukes, and the third is on its way. When prices plummeted due to bots, and bot scripters even had the audacity to recommend us to bot without losing, legit players walked away. Understandable, not much we can do except combat the bots, hop worlds, use safes when needed, but even that is a lot of hassle for many players - they prefer simplicity, and creating their own temporary chats is as simple as it gets.

Crashers, another major influence on the cycle. When Taker, Singaporedef and Menu crashed daily, we needed skilled ranks to stop them. It discouraged some people to play with us, because we had the crashers, while creating your own temporary chat works just as good to get tied games, but then without the crashers. Of course, no consistent games, and no skilled GOP players to help you when you get crashed, but the crashers were at Gop Addict already, right?
When the crashers left, the chat would have it easier again. I remember times where I would log in to a full chat, log out with a full chat, having played for hours without a single crasher, and only having warned a handful of idlers.
When the cc_crashers were around, a clan of skilled crashers with secret identities, the clan was unstable again. People were getting crashed daily, and had to work hard for their tied games. If they had to work for it, they preferred world 61!

When the end of the cc_crashers and the bot nuke went hand-in-hand, this had such an influence on the chat that even the end of holiday couldn't stop the chat from growing.

Conclusion
We hardly control when people will play GOP, and when. What we can control, however, is giving them the opportunity to do so when they ask for it. If you're a rank, and find yourself in trouble managing the chat because of a lack of people, you could try to advertise the next day before the lack of players starts. If this doesn't help, then think of the reasons mentioned above - the lack of players might be inevitable, and you might have to accept that the clan will be temporarily empty.
If you, as a rank, feel like the burden gets to heavy to bear, stop in time. You don't want to push yourself over the edge, unable to return. Stress-recruiting new ranks to share the burden, and taking breaks when you need them is more important than burning yourself out in an attempt to run 24/7.

This clan has survived many, many 'dark times', and many tough times.
A bad sixpence always turns up.

Feel free to add to this, feel free to correct me, and feel free to move this to a more public section.

Back to top Go down
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Great post =) Sticky plz?

Back to top Go down
Ghost
Clan Admin

Runescape Name : fAIL gRAMMAR

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 am

and some timezones were extremely hard to fill (due to the fact that USA was asleep and Europe was at school)

---

And not many ranks are from Australia, like myself - So we couldn't cover it effectively. :l

Back to top Go down
Bigchampion1
Clan Advisor

Runescape Name : Endeavour

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 am

@Ghost wrote:
And not many ranks are from Australia, like myself - So we couldn't cover it effectively. :l

But that also comes from the fact that the chat was hard to fill - after all, no players means no potential ranks, no potential ranks means no ranks.

Back to top Go down
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/
Crown Prince
Clan Advisor

Runescape Name : Crown Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

Great Post biggie
Stickied =)

Back to top Go down
Xbattymanx
Ex-Rank

Runescape Name : Xbattymanx | Hi Ppl19

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the post B.I.G!

Bat.

Back to top Go down
Jota
Ex-Rank

Runescape Name : Jota

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Good job, was an interesting read :)

Back to top Go down
Gra
Clan Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Y U no mention who's idea it was? :pokeherface:

Other than that, good post, to the point. Just what is needed to give future Admins a good 'heads up' of what they should expect during they're time as Admin.

Back to top Go down
Luna
Ex-Rank

Runescape Name : Wizard Vief

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 am

Wonderfully helpful post for the future Champ, and of course, it's accurate in essentially every way.

And though what it's in response to may have been rash, I still feel that it was effective in what it did, and so justifiable in why.

One of the main complaints that stood out, despite all of the others shown here, was a distinct lack of rank involvement, which was remediable from our end. It's true that there were better ways to go about solving this, but the quickest and most effective measures are usually the most drastic. Closing the fc and encouraging a little huddle on the Forums to reassert GA's remaining assets was probably the best thing that could have happened, considering the response it was given.

Hopefully such methods can be avoided in the future, since the typical process is listed clearly here, and simply because these methods can be more trouble than they're worth. But as history (here and elsewhere) has shown, things like this still seem to be the best way to get people's attention and involvement.

Last edited by Luna on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down
Verhaert3

Runescape Name : Verhaert3

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Great post :) It's good for some people to read this Amuse

Greetzz,
Jason

Back to top Go down
yayan sun

Runescape Name : yayan sun

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Nice post.

Back to top Go down
Maple

Runescape Name : JoeI, Maple o_0

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 am

i play cod now but i jump on every now and again maybe i should post my story about being the most times ban/unban/ban/unban in history of gop addict??! :O

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/UGotSwaggg
Jota
Ex-Rank

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Fluh
Clan Admin

Runescape Name : Vic

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm

@Jota wrote:

+1

Back to top Go down
Newcome|R Map
Forum Admin

Runescape Name : Nevv, Newcomer Map

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 pm

lol

Back to top Go down
Skill 3 own

Runescape Name : RiverCourt

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Haha

Back to top Go down
Crown Prince
Clan Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Let's re-start Gop Addict. Who's in?

Back to top Go down
Jota
Ex-Rank

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:48 am

@Crown Prince wrote:

Let's re-start Gop Addict.

Back to top Go down
Skill 3 own

Runescape Name : RiverCourt

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm in!

Back to top Go down
Crown Prince
Clan Advisor

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:14 pm

okeydokey :3 time to steal GA from those lazy (wieh) admins!

Back to top Go down
Maple

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:49 am

I WILL HELP!!!

Back to top Go down
Jota
Ex-Rank

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:37 pm

@Maple wrote:
I WILL HELP!!!

Back to top Go down
Maple

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 pm

i got a new new air max today mate so yeah ;)

Back to top Go down
Newcome|R Map
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:40 pm

@Maple wrote:
i got a new new air max today mate so yeah ;)
 Thumbs Up 

Back to top Go down
Newcome|R Map
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:24 pm

we did it PogChamp

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle   

Back to top Go down

The Gop Addict Yearly Cycle